Agriculture and Natural Resources
Purpose and Scope
Agrosecurity is a framework of programs, activities, and outreach that aid in protecting food and agriculture systems from all hazards, whether natural, accidental, or deliberate. The EDEN Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee encourages the development and use of teaching and outreach materials for Extension professionals to address these agrosecurity issues.
EDEN formed its Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee to address challenges concerning the security of production agriculture and the food supply. One of the committee’s first tasks was to create the EDEN Strengthening Community Agrosecurity Preparedness (S-CAP) pilot workshops. The workshops empower local Extension personnel and other community partners to:
- Build capacity to handle agricultural issues during an emergency or disaster.
- Improve networking among stakeholders who can plan for and respond to emergencies.
- Develop Community Agrosecurity Planning (CAP) teams to establish or enhance agrosecurity components within existing local EOPs.
More than 40 S-CAP workshops have been completed since 2009, enabling communities to improve disaster preparation, prevention, mitigation, response, and recovery efforts.
Goals and Objectives
- Identify, review, and assess agrosecurity priorities
- Engage Extension professionals in outreach opportunities
- Build and strengthen partnerships with national training centers and other organizations
The committee elects a Chair and Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect annually. Its members are Extension specialists who have diverse backgrounds in disaster preparedness, plant health, animal health, and food safety but have a common interest in preventing intentional, accidental, or natural agricultural disasters. The group holds monthly conference calls as well as an annual meeting that is held in conjunction with the EDEN annual meeting.
Anyone who is interested in developing, promoting, and conducting educational programs to protect agriculture and our food supply is welcome to join the committee.
|Last Name||First Name||Institution|
|Jensen||Michael||Washington State University|
|Anderson||Brian||Washington State University|
|Sanders||Christina||Washington State University|
|Lindsey||Angie||University of Florida|
|Gaffney||Mike||Washington State University|
|McKillip||Carrie||University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign|
|Mueller||Ashley||University of Nebraska|